Mold is a fungus that breaks down organic material. It is nature’s “recycler”. We encounter it every day in the air around us, as well as in foods, drinks, and even medications. Mold spores (the vehicle by which mold reproduces) are found virtually everywhere, including inside of homes. But that fact alone does not mean that there is a mold problem. Mold problems arise if certain conditions are met, allowing the spores to reproduce at a significant rate. Some signs of a mold problem may be: noticeable odors, excess moisture or water damage, visible growth, or discoloration. Mold tends to grow in areas where there is moisture.
Examples of moisture and mold prone areas in a home would include bathrooms, around window frames, kitchens, in attics or crawl spaces, or in closets where air doesn’t circulate well. The presence of mold is usually accompanied by a musty smell and visible discoloration on the surface area that it lives on. Excess mold spores can cause respiratory issues or aggravate asthma and allergies. Everyone reacts differently to mold spores. However, infants, the elderly, and those with weakened immune systems are generally more susceptible to health complications caused by mold.
Anyone can clean small areas of surface mold, provided one uses the proper precautions and equipment. A solution of 10% bleach and 90% water can be used to clean a great percentage of surface mold growth. On the other hand, if there is mold growing in the walls, ceilings, or under the floor, it is usually best to hire professionals who understand the proper way to locate, remediate, and contain mold issues of a larger magnitude. There are several tools that professionals may utilize to assist them in detecting moisture & mold. A common tool is the moisture meter. Other tools are infrared camera’s that use thermography to detect ‘hot’ and ‘cold’ spots, as well as sampling equipment in order to take swab samples of visible mold, and/or air samples which helps to determine if there are elevated levels of mold spores in the home.
Simply removing the mold will not guarantee that mold growth will not return; it is also imperative to get rid of the moisture source that allowed the mold to grow in the first place. Once the mold has been properly remediated, it is advisable to have a third-party company perform what is called “clearance testing” and issue a report of their findings.
At Moisture and Mold Check Professionals, we have the tools and experience necessary to detect moisture & mold problems in a property. We do not do repairs, nor do we accept any kind of referral fee for referring our clients to for repairs. We prefer to remain a neutral third-party, and we believe that this sets us apart from our competitors, allowing us to provide just the facts to our clients, without any financial benefit at stake. In other words, we have no reason to make a mountain out of a mold-hill, so to speak.